‹‹ MORE HISTORICAL NUGGETS

Old Burying Ground, The

NUGGET #43

Old Burying Ground, The: Town’s first cemetery; extant section stands on Wilton Road East below Main Street and just north of Creamery Lane, but has no gravestones left standing; northern portion was developed ca. 1850 for road and homelots after graves were moved to Titicus Cemetery; was laid out Nov. 25, 1708 and at one time contained the graves of 40 pioneers, now listed on a granite monument in cemetery; one of few pieces of original public land still owned by town government; maintained by Ridgefield Garden Club.

From Jack Sanders, Ridgefield Names.

More Historical Nuggets

First Pride Day, 1998

FIRST ‘PRIDE’ DAY: “A Celebration of Community: Straight, Gay and Lesbian“ took place in 1998, on the Community Center lawn. Just a year later, a Rainbow Flag was flown for the first time in the nation over a state capitol, Hartford, on March 21, 1999.

Hezekiah Scott (1789-1879)

Hezekiah Scott was a weaver and operated a distillery on the brook near his home on Barlow Mountain Road — a stream now called Kiah’s Brook.

Paving

The first road paving, part of a state experiment, was done on the eastern end of Branchville Road around 1912. Catoonah Street was paved in 1922.