‹‹ MORE HISTORICAL NUGGETS

Dlhy Ridge

NUGGET #33

Dlhy Ridge: Town officials concocted this in the early 1970’s when they were looking for a name for the new municipal golf course, opened in 1974. It is the only place name in town that has no vowels, but because it is nonetheless tricky to spell, “Ridgefield Golf Course” has tended to replace Dlhy Ridge. The name recalls Joseph and Suzanna Dlhy (pronounced dill-ee, with the accent on the first syllable) whose farm now forms a large portion of the course (land was also purchased from the Leighton family). Joseph came to the U.S. from Czechoslovakia in 1910 and five years later, when he married Suzanna Boron, moved to Ridgefield. He died in 1965. Suzanna, who sold the land to the town in the late 1960’s, died in 1976.   

From Jack Sanders, Ridgefield Names.

More Historical Nuggets

First Pride Day, 1998

FIRST ‘PRIDE’ DAY: “A Celebration of Community: Straight, Gay and Lesbian“ took place in 1998, on the Community Center lawn. Just a year later, a Rainbow Flag was flown for the first time in the nation over a state capitol, Hartford, on March 21, 1999.

Hezekiah Scott (1789-1879)

Hezekiah Scott was a weaver and operated a distillery on the brook near his home on Barlow Mountain Road — a stream now called Kiah’s Brook.

Paving

The first road paving, part of a state experiment, was done on the eastern end of Branchville Road around 1912. Catoonah Street was paved in 1922.