‹‹ MORE HISTORICAL NUGGETS

Farmingville Schoolhouse

NUGGET #6

Farmingville Schoolhouse: Stood opposite present Farmingville School in District Number 10; it and Titicus were last district schools to close, 1939; long empty, building was sold about 1950 to Alexander Alland, photographer, who moved it to North Salem to serve as studio (still there 2019); had been gift of Gov. George Lounsbury in 1900, the last district schoolhouse built in town; previous Farmingville building, farther east and dating from mid-1800s, was razed ca. 1900 — land on which it stood was given to Louis Morris Starr (q.v.) in exchange for site of Lounsbury gift; George and his brother, Phineas, had been schooled in the older building and both became governors of Connecticut.  

More Historical Nuggets

First Pride Day, 1998

FIRST ‘PRIDE’ DAY: “A Celebration of Community: Straight, Gay and Lesbian“ took place in 1998, on the Community Center lawn. Just a year later, a Rainbow Flag was flown for the first time in the nation over a state capitol, Hartford, on March 21, 1999.

Hezekiah Scott (1789-1879)

Hezekiah Scott was a weaver and operated a distillery on the brook near his home on Barlow Mountain Road — a stream now called Kiah’s Brook.

Paving

The first road paving, part of a state experiment, was done on the eastern end of Branchville Road around 1912. Catoonah Street was paved in 1922.