In November 2019, the Battle of Ridgefield became the subject of intense interest with the finding of human remains under the basement of a historic house, which sits not far from the main engagement. This battle was the only inland engagement of the Revolutionary War fought in Connecticut.
The Ridgefield Historical Society, in partnership with the State Historic Preservation Office, has received a multi-year grant from the National Park Service American Battlefield Protection Program to convert this enthusiasm into preservation action and long-term stewardship of this important site through community-based dialogue.
For more information about our Battle of Ridgefield project, please email Sharon Dunphy at email@example.com.
Battle of Ridgefield Fund
The Ridgefield Historical Society has established a special Battle of Ridgefield Fund to provide financial support for the forensic work and for the eventual reinterment of the remains to help identify and honor the men who died on Ridgefield’s battleground.
Watch for ongoing updates to this developing story:
- Three skeletons, possibly Revolutionary War soldiers, found under Ridgefield house, Stephen Coulter, Ridgefield Press, 12/17/2019
- Skeletons found near Ridgefield battle site fascinates history lovers, Macklin Reid, Ridgefield Press, 12/18/19
- Revolutionary War soldiers? State archaeologist believes Ridgefield skeletons fit the bill, Stephen Coulter, Ridgefield Press, 12/18/2019
- Experts to determine if remains found in Ridgefield are from American Revolution, reported by Mark Sudol, News 12 Connecticut, 12/18/2019
- Digging Up History in Ridgefield: Archaeologist, Historians, Scientist Study Three Skeletons, Possibly Revolutionary War Soldiers, HamletHub, 12/18/2019
- Skeletons that may be the remains of Revolutionary War soldiers discovered beneath historic house, Fox News, 12/20/2019
- QU Students Studying Skeletal Remains Found in Ridgefield (video), NBC Connecticut, 1/3/2020
- Possible Revolutionary War remains studied at Quinnipiac University in North Haven, Record-Journal, 1/3/2020
- Tests Begin on Bones That May Be Revolutionary War Soldiers, U.S. News, 1/3/2020
- Skeletal Remains Found in Ridgefield May Be Revolutionary War Soldiers, UConn Today, 1/15/2020
- Fourth skeleton discovered in Ridgefield, Ridgefield Press, 1/20/2020
- Update coming on Ridgefield skeletons, News Times, 2/28/2020
Testing on the skeletal remains was suspended due to the pandemic. We are awaiting news of any change to this situation from state archaeologist Sarah Sportman.