Treasures From the Archives: Letters Home (Part 1)

Read Thompson Derr's first letter to his mother from Ridgefield School in 1916.
Thomas Derr and a letter written by him

Established in 1907 by Roland Jessup Mulford, the Ridgefield School stood on southern Main Street serving as a boarding school for boys during the school year and as the Ridgefield Inn during the summer.

January 31, 1916

Read 15-year-old Thompson Derr’s first letter to his mother from the school in January 1916.

Note: Click the < and > buttons above to move through the slide show. Click the three dots icon then click “Enter full screen” to enlarge the slide show to fill your screen.

The Treasures from the Archives series is supported by the CT Humanities and Fairfield County Bank.


38-star American flag

38-Star Flag

There are multiple antique American flags in the archives of the Ridgefield Historical Society. However, this one is likely the oldest, having only 38 stars.

Treasures from the Archives: Two Dresses

The following items from the Historical Society’s archives were hand-selected and researched by our two Ridgefield High School interns, Sara Shepherd and Tyler Ingram. Suffragist Dress This dress was previously

Send Us A Message