‹‹ MORE HISTORICAL NUGGETS

Eight Lakes

NUGGET #5

Eight Lakes: Town’s largest subdivision, with several hundred lots from tiny ones around Lake Mamanasco to one-acre parcels on West Mountain; part of Port of Missing Men (q.v.) property, which included eight lakes and ponds: Lake Mamanasco, Turtle Pond, and Round Pond in Ridgefield; Lakes Rippowam, Oscaleta, and Waccabuc in Lewisboro; and Pine Lake and Hemlock Lake in North Salem; 500-600 acres in Ridgefield acquired 1951, J. Wesley Seward and William H. Hayes of NYC; subdivided 1951-54; roads are Walnut Hill Road, Birch Court, Rock Road, Scott Ridge Road, Blue Ridge Road, Caudatowa Drive, Sleepy Hollow Road, Round Lake Road, First through 12th Lanes, Mamanasco Road, west ends of Barrack Hill and Old Sib Roads.

From Jack Sanders, Ridgefield Names.

More Historical Nuggets

First Pride Day, 1998

FIRST ‘PRIDE’ DAY: “A Celebration of Community: Straight, Gay and Lesbian“ took place in 1998, on the Community Center lawn. Just a year later, a Rainbow Flag was flown for the first time in the nation over a state capitol, Hartford, on March 21, 1999.

Hezekiah Scott (1789-1879)

Hezekiah Scott was a weaver and operated a distillery on the brook near his home on Barlow Mountain Road — a stream now called Kiah’s Brook.

Paving

The first road paving, part of a state experiment, was done on the eastern end of Branchville Road around 1912. Catoonah Street was paved in 1922.