Due to the pandemic, the Peter Parley Schoolhouse will be temporarily closed. Please look for new programming about the Schoolhouse, which will be available both below and on the main page of our website.
The Peter Parley Schoolhouse, also known as the West Lane Schoolhouse or the Little Red Schoolhouse, is located at the intersection of West Lane and South Salem Road (CT Route 35) in historic Ridgefield. This gem of a schoolhouse was originally set between dirt crossroads in a colonial farming community. Today it stands on a country road surrounded by gracious homes.
The Sundays at the Schoolhouse program occurs the last Sundays of May through October.
This program is generously sponsored by:
The Town of Ridgefield owns the building and leases it to Ridgefield Historical Society. The interior of the schoolhouse looks similar to the way it would have when its doors closed in the early 1900s. Period-appropriate desks, texts, workbooks, toys, and memorabilia fill the schoolhouse along with plaques noting the history of Ridgefield and its little red schoolhouses. The story of Samuel Goodrich (alias Peter Parley) comes alive with a video. Docents tell colorful stories about this charming, centuries old, country schoolhouse.
The Ridgefield Historical Society is pleased to offer private tours of the Peter Parley Schoolhouse to groups of 30 or less, by appointment. The tour runs approximately 45 minutes to one hour. To schedule a tour or for more information, please call 203-438-5821 or email us.
Read more about the Schoolhouse’s history
- History of the Little Red Schoolhouse
- In 1756 the Puritan people were strong believers in education. The Ridgefield community decided to build a schoolhouse in which to educate their children. Schoolhouses in New England were often constructed on the islands made by crossroads. This provided easy access and no one would dispute that the town owned the land. The initial building and maintenance of the schoolhouse was a community affair. Parents would lend a hand with their carpentry skills. Students would bring firewood. In the 1770s as the Revolutionary War raged on, students attended the little schoolhouse.
Fortunately, there is an excellent account of what the schoolhouse was like at the turn of the 19th century. Samuel Griswold Goodrich, the writer of the Peter Parley stories, attended the school from 1799 to 1803. Although he remembers the school with fondness, he was appalled that children were taught using adult books or scary nursery rhymes. After completing his studies he went on to rectify the situation, becoming one of the most famous children’s book authors of his time.
He later wrote an extensive account of what it was like attending the school and living in Ridgefield in his book Recollections of a Lifetime, Volume 1. The original building “consisted of rough, unpainted clapboards, upon a wooden frame. It was plastered within, and contained two apartments – a little entry, taken out of a corner for a wardrobe and the school-room proper. The chimney was of stone, and pointed with mortar, which, by the way, had been dug into a honeycomb by uneasy and enterprising penknives. The fireplace was six feet wide and four feet deep. The flute was so ample and so perpendicular that the rain sleet and snow fell direct to the hearth.” Describing the interior he notes, “we were all seated upon benches, made of what were called slabs – that is, boards having the exterior or rounded part of the log on one side: as they were useless for other purposes, these were converted into school-benches, the rounded part down. They had each four supports, consisting of straddling wooden legs, set into augur-holes. Our own legs swayed in the air, for they were too short to touch the floor. Oh, what an awe fell over me, when we were all seated and silence reigned around!”
Goodrich describes the exterior landscape as follows: “The ground hereabouts – as everywhere else in Ridgefield – was exceedingly stony, and in making the pathway the stones had been thrown out right and left, and these remained in heaps on either side, from generation to generation.” He recalls a nearby chestnut tree that the boys used to throw sticks and stones at to knock off the chestnuts.
Ridgefield was a farming community and they adjusted their schooling accordingly. Initially, there was a women’s school in the summer months attended by young children. The older children were needed on the farms. In the winter a male teacher was hired to teach the boys and girls in the neighborhood up to the age of eighteen or even twenty. Goodrich says as many as forty scholars could be crowded into this little building!
During the early 1800s the old building was replaced with the current larger building. In the 1830s, before the Civil War, the blackboards were installed. In 1893 it was estimated that the yearly cost of a student was $8.01. (In 2010 the estimated cost per student was $7,830.) The current interior of the building is similar to the way it looked in 1895 with its black pot belly stove and iron and wooden desks.
In the early 1900s the schoolhouse sustained minor damage when one of those new inventions, the Model T car, failed to make the corner turn and crashed into it. A member of the prominent Pinchbeck family, John Pinchbeck, Sr, attended the school in the early 1900s. His writing book still lies in the classroom. In the 1970s a marble bench was installed outside the building and dedicated to his son for all the service he had done for Ridgefield as Tree Warden.
In 1915 the school bell stopped ringing and the flag was taken down. The schoolhouse closed its doors. Several schoolhouses were consolidated and students started attending the new Benjamin Franklin Grammar school on East Ridge. It remained a grammar school until 1927 when it became Ridgefield High School. Today it is the Richard E. Venus Municipal Building, often referred to by locals as the “old High School”.
The town of Ridgefield owns the little red schoolhouse and its grounds. For many years the Ridgefield Garden Club leased the site from the town. In February 2012 the Ridgefield Historical Society took over the lease.
- Samuel Goodrich, alias Peter Parley
Samuel Griswold Goodrich (August 19, 1793 – May 9, 1860), alias Peter Parley as he was known by his pseudonym, was born in Ridgefield, Connecticut. He was a prolific writer, with over 170 books to his credit, and is believed by many to have written the first American text books. Samuel attended the West Lane Schoolhouse, and he wrote about his experiences as a student there.
Death of S.G. Goodrich, Esq.
The New York Times, May 11, 1860
We deeply regret that we are obliged to announce the death of Mr. S.G. GOODRICH, more widely known as “Peter Parley,” — the pseudonym under which he acquired his reputation. He died very suddenly, at his residence in Ninth-street, of disease of the heart. Mr. GOODRICH was a native of Connecticut, and was born in 1793, — though no one would have judged from his appearance that he was so nearly seventy years old. He had a vigorous constitution, which he preserved to the last by care and regularity in his mode of life. He began life as a publisher, first in Hartford and afterwards in Boston, — and edited in the days of Annuals one of the most celebrated of them, the Token, from 1828 to 1842.
His greatest success, however, was achieved in compiling books for children, — designed to convey instruction in natural history, travels, biography, and various branches of science and art, by simply-written narratives and anecdotes, copiously illustrated by engravings. He wrote as “Peter Parley” telling stories to children, and for many years the series of works thus published, extending to over forty volumes, had an enormous circulation, both in this country and abroad. They introduced a class of books which have since become universal.
In 1841, he established a periodical called Merry’s Museum, based upon the same general plan, which he continued until 1854. In 1857, he published two volumes of Recollections, — containing an immense amount of exceedingly interesting memoranda concerning men and events in Connecticut, and forming one of the most readable books of the day. Mr. GOODRICH was appointed American Consul at Paris under Mr. FILLMORE, and held that office for several years. He performed its duties with great fidelity, and enjoyed the respect and esteem of all with whom he came in contact.
He published several works while there calculated to diffuse a more general knowledge of America and its institutions, and upon his return prepared an elaborate and admirable illustrated History of the Animal Kingdom, which was issued last year in two large and elegant volumes. He was a man of great diligence, and continued to prosecute his literary labors to the latest period of his life.
Mr. GOODRICH was preparing to leave the City, and to reside in Connecticut. Some four or five weeks since he sold his furniture, pictures, &c., and was intending to remove his family within a few days. His death will be deeply regretted, even beyond the very wide circle of his personal friends and acquaintances.
- Thanks to Those who have Contributed
- Ridgefield Historical Society would like to thank the following for their contributions to the schoolhouse. These are just a few of the many people who have contributed to this project. Thanks to all!
- Donna and Carl Warren for their ongoing support of the schoolhouse
- The Town of Ridgefield for repairing and painting the interior and exterior of the schoolhouse in 2017
- Fairfield County Giving Day donors Jim Tobin, Doug & Klaire Martin, and David Gelfman for raising the funds, purchasing and installing a working antique school bell in the belfry
- The Ridgefield Garden Club for their past restoration efforts and maintaining the ornamental plantings on the grounds
- Jack Sanders for historical pictures and knowledge
- Local artist Cindi Mullins for the use of her schoolhouse painting
- Charles Bartholet for carpentry
- Ridgefield’s Tree Warden, John Pinchbeck for tree care
- Jack and Williams LaJeunesse for schoolhouse restoration work
- Ridgefield Glass for replacement of schoolhouse windows
- The One-Room Schoolhouse Center for historical knowledge
Want to help out on future projects?
Ridgefield Historical Society always welcomes tax-deductible contributions to help maintain and operate the Schoolhouse. We are committed to ensuring this little piece of history is preserved. Current needs include:
- Volunteer docents: Meet and greet the public, give tours, and assist with educational initiatives at the Schoolhouse, open May through October on the last Sunday of the month from 1 to 4 pm.