‹‹ MORE HISTORICAL NUGGETS

High Ridge Avenue

NUGGET #58

First called High Ridge Road, as early as 1830, renamed High Ridge Avenue after Civil War when J. Howard King (q.v.) was promoting the area for large summer homes; name long applied only to portion of road between West Lane and Peaceable Street, but is now used for road between West Lane and Gilbert Street; in early 20th Century, the road between Catoonah and Gilbert Streets was called Maple Avenue (q.v.). South end was probably originally included in today’s Parley Lane (q.v.); High Ridge from Parley Lane to West Lane, passing by Shadow Lane, was probably not established until the 1800s.
Jack Sanders, Ridgefield Names.

More Historical Nuggets

First Pride Day, 1998

FIRST ‘PRIDE’ DAY: “A Celebration of Community: Straight, Gay and Lesbian“ took place in 1998, on the Community Center lawn. Just a year later, a Rainbow Flag was flown for the first time in the nation over a state capitol, Hartford, on March 21, 1999.

Hezekiah Scott (1789-1879)

Hezekiah Scott was a weaver and operated a distillery on the brook near his home on Barlow Mountain Road — a stream now called Kiah’s Brook.

Paving

The first road paving, part of a state experiment, was done on the eastern end of Branchville Road around 1912. Catoonah Street was paved in 1922.