‹‹ MORE HISTORICAL NUGGETS

Devil’s Run Road

NUGGET #50

Devil’s Run Road: Early to mid 20th Century informal name for the dirt road that runs from Bennett’s Farm Road at Fox Hill north to the Bennett’s Ponds, today the main roadway into the Bennett’s Pond State Park; the road was part of Col. Louis D. Conley’s massive estate, Outpost Farm, begun around 1914, and served as the main route to the pond or ponds; name reflects the roughness of the road, which even today tends to suffer washouts in heavy rains.

Jack Sanders, Ridgefield Names.

More Historical Nuggets

First Pride Day, 1998

FIRST ‘PRIDE’ DAY: “A Celebration of Community: Straight, Gay and Lesbian“ took place in 1998, on the Community Center lawn. Just a year later, a Rainbow Flag was flown for the first time in the nation over a state capitol, Hartford, on March 21, 1999.

Hezekiah Scott (1789-1879)

Hezekiah Scott was a weaver and operated a distillery on the brook near his home on Barlow Mountain Road — a stream now called Kiah’s Brook.

Paving

The first road paving, part of a state experiment, was done on the eastern end of Branchville Road around 1912. Catoonah Street was paved in 1922.