Saw Mills


Saw mills: Possibly the first “industry” and first “factory” in Ridgefield was a sawmill. Certainly lumber was needed before almost anything else in the settlement of the new town. Land records between 1708 and 1880 indicate that at least 20 sawmills were operated here for varying lengths of time during those 170 years. Virtually every neighborhood had a mill at one time or another. The earliest water powered mill may have been located at the outlet of a pond that used to exist at the corner of Whipstick Road and Wilton Road East.

More Historical Nuggets

First Pride Day, 1998

FIRST ‘PRIDE’ DAY: “A Celebration of Community: Straight, Gay and Lesbian“ took place in 1998, on the Community Center lawn. Just a year later, a Rainbow Flag was flown for the first time in the nation over a state capitol, Hartford, on March 21, 1999.

Hezekiah Scott (1789-1879)

Hezekiah Scott was a weaver and operated a distillery on the brook near his home on Barlow Mountain Road — a stream now called Kiah’s Brook.


The first road paving, part of a state experiment, was done on the eastern end of Branchville Road around 1912. Catoonah Street was paved in 1922.