Peespunk

NUGGET #42

Peespunk appears quite a few times in very early deeds, reflecting a little-known custom practiced by the American Indians. First cited in a 1712 deed in which the proprietors granted land lying on both sides of “Peespunk Spring”; eventually, deeds simply referred to land “at Peespunk.” The word, from “pesuppau-og,” meaning “they are sweating,” appears in the languages of the Narragansett and the Paugusett tribes; the latter lived in parts of Fairfield County. A peespunk or “sweat lodge” was a hut or cave where native men built hot fires and took ceremonial sweat baths, subsequently cooling off in nearby water (the spring). Peespunk seems to have been on a West Mountain hillside on the west side of North Salem Road near the New York line.

From Jack Sanders, Ridgefield Names.

Search

More Posts

The Scott House, headquarters of the Ridgefield Historical Society was a buzz this summer with thirteen summer interns working on projects including Battle of Ridgefield and Civil War Research and our Oral History Project.

Meet the Historical Society’s Summer Interns

The Scott House, headquarters of the Ridgefield Historical Society, has hosted more than a dozen interns this summer working on research, collections and social media. Meet the interns and see

Send Us A Message