Search
Close this search box.

‹‹ MORE NEWS

Col. Charles Armand (1751-1793)

In summer 1779, established a barracks for his Partisan Legion near the intersection of Barrack Hill and Old West Mountain Rds.
Col. Charles Armand Tuffin

NUGGET #76

Colonel Charles Armand Tuffin, Marquis de la Rouërie
Charles Armand Tuffin, Marquis de la Rouërie.
Digital Collections, The New York Public Library

Armand, Col. Charles (1751-1793), officially, Charles Armand Tuffin, Marquis de la Rouërie, was a French cavalry officer and wealthy French nobleman who fought with colonists during Revolution; In summer 1779, he established a barracks for his Partisan Legion near the intersection of Barrack Hill and Old West Mountain Rds. from which his men attacked the British and protected patriots in Westchester and Putnam Counties. Some of his cavalrymen also patrolled the area to apprehend marauders, deserters, rioters, stragglers, and other soldiers found guilty of violating the General Orders.

Silvio A. Bedini, Ridgefeld in Review, 1958.

Search

More Posts

On Board with Frank Cobelli

We welcome Frank Cobelli to the Ridgefield Historical Society board, charged with maintaining our growing collection of buildings and grounds.

Send Us A Message

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list and receive updates, news, and invitations.

Visit Us

Ridgefield Historical Society
4 Sunset Lane
Ridgefield, CT 06877
Tel. (203) 438-5821

Follow Us

Community

 © 2024 Ridgefield Historical Society, All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy