Hidden Barn Gift Shop

A gift and antiques shop operated from a red barn just south of Ballard Park next to where Grand Union, now CVS, stands. (Read More)


“Old Ridgefield” column by Jack Sanders, The Ridgefield Press, 10/25/2001

Hidden Barn Gift Shop was a gift and antiques shop operated from a red barn at the north end of the Ridgefield Shopping Center, then more commonly known as the Grand Union shopping center; address was [old numbering system] 144 Main Street; operated by Carolyn and Herman Koch; later became Hickory & Tweed ski shop; burned down around 1971.

More Historical Nuggets

First Pride Day, 1998

FIRST ‘PRIDE’ DAY: “A Celebration of Community: Straight, Gay and Lesbian“ took place in 1998, on the Community Center lawn. Just a year later, a Rainbow Flag was flown for the first time in the nation over a state capitol, Hartford, on March 21, 1999.

Hezekiah Scott (1789-1879)

Hezekiah Scott was a weaver and operated a distillery on the brook near his home on Barlow Mountain Road — a stream now called Kiah’s Brook.


The first road paving, part of a state experiment, was done on the eastern end of Branchville Road around 1912. Catoonah Street was paved in 1922.