- Encourages historic preservation,
- Collects and catalogues documentary materials,
- Provides a database of information about town history,
- Creates publications and exhibits,
- Records and transcribes oral histories, and
- Offers workshops and assistance to those interested in local history.
The Society also operates and maintains the Peter Parley Schoolhouse, including a summer schedule of family friendly docent-guided tours.
The Society’s purpose is to preserve, interpret, and foster public knowledge of Ridgefield’s historical, cultural, and architectural heritage.
“Ridgefield’s character is something precious and elusive. Half visible, half fictional, it springs from the world of the physical – the great evenly spaced houses along Main Street, the winding roads, the hills thick with trees – but exists largely in the minds of those who left it long ago.”
Those wonderful words were written by Macklin Reid for the March 4, 1999 edition of the Ridgefield Press and reprinted in the short 2002 history of the Scott House (“A Historic House Becomes a House of History”).
Ridgefield (beautiful as she exists today) is even further enhanced by the soft memories of what she has seen over the centuries … and of what she has meant to earlier residents.
And that’s where the Historical Society fits in.
Through the tireless efforts of talented volunteers working on diverse projects, the story of Ridgefield is preserved for future generations. The volunteers’ professionalism and dedication is much appreciated. As are the many members and benefactors whose generous contributions make the Historical Society a reality. Without your support, the Historical Society would not be able to function.
— Sharon Dunphy, President
Board of Directors
- Sharon Dunphy, President
- Sara Champion, First Vice President
- Geoff Harrington, Second Vice President
- Georgianne Kasuli, Co-Treasurer
- Nancy Selander, Co-Treasurer
- Michèle Mahland, Recording Secretary
- Betsy Reid, Corresponding Secretary
- Kay Ables
- Grace Clewell
- Phillip Esser
- Bunny Lancaster
- Sue Law
- Monica McMorran
- Sally Sanders
- Gary Singer
- Donna Warren
For more information on becoming a member, a volunteer, or a donor, please get in touch!
Ridgefield Historical Society
4 Sunset Lane, Ridgefield CT 06877
Open to the public on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 1-5pm