Author Elizabeth Reid

Main Street
0 Lounsbury House

Built by Governor Phineas Lounsbury in the late 1800’s. The building was first displayed as the Connecticut State Building at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in1893.  

Uncategorized
0 A Brief History of Ridgefield

RIDGEFIELD: A BRIEF HISTORY Our Ridgefield is a community of 22,000+ people in west-central Fairfield County founded in 1708, when 24 families from Long Island Sound settlements bought these uplands from the Ramapoo Indians. The Fundamental Orders adopted by Connecticut in 1639 directed would-be settlers, able to support a minister, to establish a settlement, build a Congregational church and farm the land. This is exactly what was done here in 1708. The original 24 proprietors received 7½ acre home lots drawn by lottery, with a 25th reserved for the minister. The lots were located up and down Main Street from…

Uncategorized
0 Donate Historical Materials

Ridgefield Historical Society was established in part to preserve materials of historical importance, and has a state-of-the-art vault for protecting documents.Before you throw away those old pictures, letters or other documents, please check with us to see if they may be of historical interest!The society welcomes and encourages you to donate materials of historical interest. We are particularly interested in: Old photographs, postcards and other images of Ridgefield and its people. Old documents that shed light on any aspect of Ridgefield history. Old diaries and letters by Ridgefielders, especially those that tell something of life in the town or about…

Uncategorized
0 Who we are and What we do

The Ridgefield Historical Society encourages historic preservation, collects and catalogues documentary materials, provides a database of information about town history, creates publications and exhibits, records and transcribes oral histories, and offers workshops and assistance to those interested in local history. The society’s headquarters is the 300 year old David Scott House, whose preservation, renovation and restoration was completed in September 2002. The house, at 4 Sunset Lane, includes a large fireproof and waterproof archival room within a “vault” with special equipment to control the humidity and temperature for fragile documents.The headquarters also features a reception and reference room, where the public…

Uncategorized
0 History of the Scott House

SCOTT HOUSE The occupants of the Scott House: 1. David Scott (1712-1741) 2. Vivus Dauchy (1741 – 1781) 3. Nathan Dauchy (1781-1824) 4. Nathan Jr. & Jeremiah Dauchy (1824-1838) 5. Walter & Keeler Dauchy (1838-1852) 6. Joel L. Rockwell (1852-1859) 7. Sarah & William Lounsbury (1859-1865) 8. Henry Mead (1865-1901) 9. Hiram K. Scott & Sons (1901-1922) 10. Ernest and Marie Scott (1922-1982) The Scott House c. 1900 The Scott House c. 1900 1. David Scott (1712-1741) On November 25, 1708, the choicest home lots along “Town Street” (today’s Main Street) were distributed among Ridgefield’s original proprietors by lottery. This…

Uncategorized
0 Presidents Letter

BECOME A MEMBER Scott HouseThe Ridgefield Historical Society encourages historic preservation, collects and catalogues documentary materials, provides a database of information about town history, creates publications and exhibits, records and transcribes oral histories, and offers workshops and assistance to those interested in local history. The Ridgefield Historical Society welcomes members, both people who live in Ridgefield and those who have attachments to Ridgefield but live elsewhere — including former Ridgefielders and people whose ancestors lived here. Your membership helps support our efforts to preserve the town’s history and the history of its people.